SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- The Springfield Cardinals (20-31) erased a 4-1 deficit to beat the Tulsa Drillers (27-23) 7-4 on Tuesday night at Hammons Field in the first of a three-game series.
W: RHP Williams Perez (5-2)
L: RHP J.D. Martin (2-4)
S: RHP Junior Fernandez (2)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
- With the Cardinals trailing 4-1 in the fifth, RF Dylan Carlson went opposite field for a two-run double that brought Springfield within a run. Two batters later and with the two-out rally still alive, CF Randy Arozarena tied the game 4-4 with a single to left. Next, Cardinals C Brian O'Keefe put Springfield ahead for good off an RBI double that made it 5-4.
- 2B Irving Lopez gave Springfield a 7-4 lead when he sent his seventh home run of the year over the wall in center in the eighth.
- Carlson led off the game with a Little League home run, tripling off the wall in center and advancing home on an error when the second baseman's throw hit him mid-slide and rolled into left field.
- Carlson finished 2-for-3 with a triple, a double, three runs and two RBIs.
- The Cardinals entered the game ranked second in the Texas League in extra-base hits. They added five more to that total on Tuesday. Carlson, LF Conner Capel and O'Keefe doubled, Carlson tripled and Lopez homered.
- Perez recorded his team-best fifth win of the season, striking out seven on 102 pitches over 6.0 innings, allowing four runs on five hits and two walks.
- Fernandez earned the save by throwing 3.0 shutout innings to close things out, striking out four and walking one without allowing a hit.
WHAT'S ON DECK:
-Springfield hosts Tulsa again on Wednesday with first pitch set for 6:30 p.m. and gates set to open at 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday's game is a Purina Woof Wednesday, so bring your dog out to the ballpark!
Check out all the upcoming fun and order your tickets right now at SpringfieldCardinals.com/promotions.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.