SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Cardinals DH Chris Chinea had a perfect 4-for-4 night at the plate but Springfield (30-38; 60-78) fell 4-3 to the Midland RockHounds (37-31; 71-66) on Saturday night in front of 6,256 fans at Hammons Field.
W: LHP Tyler Alexander (1-1)
L: RHP Will Latcham (0-2)
S: RHP Jesus Zambrano (7)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
- RockHounds 1B Dan Gamache broke a 3-3 tie with a two-out RBI single in the top of the eighth inning, scoring C Jonah Heim and putting Midland ahead for good.
- After trailing 3-0 early, Springfield began rallying back when Chinea hit his 10th home run of the season in the bottom of the second.
- Still down 3-1 in the fourth, it was Chinea who delivered again, this time doubling in C Brian O'Keefe to bring the Cardinals within a run. One batter later, LF Juan Yepez tied the game 3-3 with a sacrifice fly to center.
- RockHounds RF Greg Deichmann put Midland ahead 3-0 with a three-run shot in the first off Cardinals LHP Evan Kruczynski.
- Kruczynski recovered nicely after Deichmann's first-inning shot, not allowing another run while pitching into the seventh inning (6.2 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 BB, 3 Ks).
- Chinea's four-hit effort was his first since August 22, 2017 with the High-A Palm Beach Cardinals.
- Beyond the one run allowed, Latcham was effective in relief, striking out two and allowing two hits and two walks over 2.1 innings.
WHAT'S ON DECK:
-The Cardinals continue their final series of the 2019 season Sunday night against the RockHounds. First pitch is scheduled for 6:10 p.m. with gates opening at 5:10 p.m.
Sunday is our Aaron Sachs & Associates Flippin' Ozzie Smith Bobblehead Giveaway for 2,000 fans.
Plus, it's Kids Sing-A-Long Fans-On-Field Fireworks after the game.
It's also a Hiland Dairy Ice Cream Sunday & Kids Run the Bases, meaning free ice cream for kids on the right-field patio before the game and the chance to run the bases after the final out.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.