SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Another effective night by a Springfield Cardinals starting pitcher ended in a win as LHP Austin Warner led Springfield (17-21) in a 3-1 final over the Arkansas Travelers (22-14) on Tuesday at Hammons Field.
The win was the eighth in the last nine games for the Cardinals and secured the team's third straight series win.
W: LHP Austin Warner (2-2)
L: RHP Nabil Crismatt (3-3)
S: RHP Junior Fernandez (1)
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED:
- Cardinals LF Justin Williams crushed his first home run of 2019 over the indoor training facility in right field in the bottom of the fifth. The two-run shot put Springfield up 3-0 and ended up being the difference in the game when the Travelers put up their one run in the sixth.
- After C Jose Godoy ripped his fifth double of the season in the second inning, 1B Chris Chinea singled him home to put Springfield up 1-0.
- Warner struck out 10 batters over 7.0 impressive innings, allowing just seven hits and a walk. The only Arkansas run came off a solo homer in the sixth. Warner's 10 strikeouts marked his first double-digit strikeout effort in Double-A, and it's the first time a Springfield Cardinals pitcher finished a game with 10 strikeouts since RHP Anthony Shew on Aug. 1, 2018 vs. Tulsa.
- Including LHP Evan Kruczynski's effort on Monday, Cardinals starting pitching has struck out 19 Arkansas Travelers through the first two games of this series.
- Cardinals CF Dylan Carlson (2-for-4) and 3B Evan Mendoza (2-for-3) both finished with multi-hit games.
- Cardinals RHP Junior Fernandez struck out four over 2.0 innings, earning his first Double-A save.
WHAT'S ON DECK:
The Cardinals close out this three-game series with the Travelers on Wednesday morning at 11:10 a.m. with gates set to open at 10:10 a.m.
St. Louis Cardinals RHP Carlos Martinez is expected to make a rehab appearance during Wednesday's game vs. the Travelers.
Check out all the upcoming fun and get your tickets today at www.SpringfieldCardinals.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.