Thursday, August 10, 2017 l Game # 116 (46)
Four Winds Field l South Bend, Ind. l 7:05 p.m.
Radio: Fox Sports 980 WONE
Dayton Dragons (14-31, 55-60) at South Bend Cubs (19-26, 58-56)
LH Wennington Romero (3-8, 4.88) vs. RH Erling Moreno (1-3, 3.92)
Click here for the complete Dragons Press Box Notes packet.
Today's Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the South Bend Cubs (affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) in the first game of a four-game series.
Siri's Streak: Jose Siri produced a Midwest League record 39-game hitting streak that began with the first game of the second half on June 22 and ended on August 4. On July 31, Siri broke the 40-year-old Midwest League of 35 straight games set by Waterloo's Tony Toups in 1977. Siri batted .341 with 13 home runs and 32 RBI, 12 doubles, 3 triples, 8 stolen bases, and a .671 slugging percentage during the streak. Siri hit .461 on balls in play during the streak (59 for 128; he has 45 strikeouts in 173 at-bats). Siri continues to hold an active 47-game on-base streak that is the longest in Minor League Baseball this season.
Player of the Month: Dayton's Jose Siri has been selected as the Midwest League Player of the Month for July. For the month, he appeared in all 28 Dragons games and batted .344 with 10 home runs and 21 runs batted in. He led the Midwest League in home runs, hits (43), slugging percentage (.680), extra-base hits (19) and total bases (85). His 85 total bases led the league by 22.
- Jose Siri is batting .336 (90 for 268) with 18 home runs over his last 67 games (since May 21), raising his average from .218 to .295 and his slugging percentage from .303 to .524. Siri's 172 total bases since May 21 ranks third in Minor League Baseball. Siri's .642 slugging percentage since May 21 ranks fifth among all players in Minor League Baseball (full-season leagues). His 18 home runs since May 21 is tied for 10th in the Minor Leagues.
- Jose Siri among the Midwest League leaders in 2017 (full season): 1st in Total Bases, Hits, and Stolen Bases; 2nd in Extra Base Hits and Slugging Percentage; Tied for 2nd in Home Runs; 3rd in Runs; 7th in Batting Average; 10th in RBI.
- Hector Vargas is batting .301 over his last 19 games.
- Bruce Yari went 6 for 12 with two home runs in the four-game series just completed.
- Scott Moss ranks first in the MWL in strikeouts (131).and is tied for second in wins (11).
- Jesse Adams over his last 25 outings: 2-1, 3 Sv, 0.92 ERA, 39 IP, 4 R. Adams allowed his first runs since June 7 on Sunday, snapping a string of 18 straight scoreless appearances covering 24.2 innings. This was the longest scoreless streak since Daniel Wolford tossed 34.1 straight shutout innings, June 12-August 28, 2011.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (Game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Friday, August 11 (7:35 p.m.): Dayton LH Scott Moss (11-6, 3.66) at South Bend RH Tyson Miller (5-4, 4.92)
Saturday, August 12 (7:05 p.m.): Dayton RH Tony Santillan (6-6, 3.08) at South Bend LH Manuel Rondon (10-6, 4.82)
Sunday, August 13 (2:05 p.m.): Dayton RH Andrew Jordan (5-7, 4.73) at South Bend LH Jose Paulino (6-4, 4.85)
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.