Saturday, August 30, 2014; Game # 136 (68)
Classic Park; Eastlake, Ohio; 7:00 p.m.
Radio: WONE-AM 980
Dayton Dragons (30-37, 66-69) at Lake County Captains (37-28, 64-71)
RH Nick Travieso (13-5, 3.10) vs. RH Dace Kime (7-13, 4.93)
Click here for the entire Press Box Notes packet.
Today's Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Lake County Captains (affiliate of the Cleveland Indians) in the first game of a three-game series. Season Series: Lake County 11, Dayton 5 (at Lake County: Captains 6, Dragons 3).
The Race: With three games to play, the Dragons are one-half game behind Great Lakes and tied with Lansing and Fort Wayne in the race for the East Division Second Half wildcard slot (#2 seed).
Magic Number: The Dragons "magic number" to clinch a playoff berth is four (any combination of wins by the Dragons and losses by each team in the race totaling four would put the Dragons in the playoffs). Elimination numbers by team: Fort Wayne: 4; Great Lakes: 4; Lansing: 4; Bowling Green: 3.
Today's Dragons Starting Pitcher: 2014 Midwest League All-Star Nick Travieso makes his 26th start of the year for the Dragons tonight. Travieso is 6-0 with a 1.18 ERA over his last eight starts (45.2 IP, 6 ER). He earned the win in last start last Monday vs. Great Lakes (6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO). Travieso has broken the Dragons career record in victories (20).
- Robert Ramirez is batting .355 with two home runs over his last eight games.
- Alejandro Chacin in July-August: 21 G: 24.1 IP, 4 R, 36 SO, 1.48 ERA, 15 Sv. 3 of the 4 runs came in 1 inning 8/19 (first runs since 7/16). Chacin is second in all of Minor League Baseball in saves since July 1 with 15.
- The Dragons have lost four straight games. They went 2-4 on the homestand that ended last night as they were swept by Lansing in a three-game series.
- The Dragons would win wildcard tie-breakers vs. Fort Wayne, Bowling Green, and Great Lakes. They would lose tie-breaker vs. Lansing.
- The Dragons have scored two runs or less in seven of their last nine games. They have scored 17 runs in their last nine games.
- The Dragons hit .122 as a team in the set vs. Lansing and .171 on the six-game homestand.
- The Dragons current team ERA of 3.58 would rank third best in club history over a full season.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (All game times are EDT) (All games on WONE 980 AM and WONE.com)
Sunday, August 31 (1:30 p.m.): Dayton RH Jackson Stephens (2-6, 4.10) at Lake County LH Luis Lugo (9-9, 5.16)
Monday, September 1 (1:00 p.m.): Dayton RH Nick Howard (1-1, 4.08) at Lake County RH Mitch Brown (8-8, 3.31)
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.