Nick Adenhart was a bright young pitcher who played for the Cedar Rapids Kernels in 2006, and was a rising star in the Los Angeles Angels organization. Only hours after Nick's 2009 season debut on the mound for the Angels, a drunk driver tragically killed him on April 9, 2009 at age 22.
Nick's family and the Kernels Foundation would like to honor him by awarding two $1,000 scholarships in his memory. The Kernels Foundation is privileged to administer the scholarship on behalf of Nick's family.
The deadline for submitting applications for this scholarship is Friday, April 12, 2019. Applicants must be a graduating high school senior from an area high school and attend a two or four-year accredited college or university and take 12 or more hours per semester. The applicant must have played an organized sport in the last two years, must be a great teammate, must demonstrate hard work and determination, and must have a clear vision of their career goal.
- Applicant must be a graduating high school senior from an area public or private high school
- Applicant must attend a two-year or four-year accredited college or university and take 12 or more hours per semester.
- Applicant must have played an organized sport in the last two years.
- Applicant must be a great teammate.
- Applicant should have a clear vision of career goal.
- Applicant must demonstrate hard work and determination.
- Complete the Nick Adenhart Memorial Scholarship Application
- Submit an essay as described in the Aspirations and Goals section of the application.
- Submit a certified copy of your transcript
- Submit the following 2 letters of recommendation from:
- Sports coach / manager or teammate
- School teacher or principal or counselor
Submit all of the above information by mail to:
Nick Adenhart Memorial Scholarship c/o Cedar Rapids Kernels
950 Rockford Road SW Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52404
Electronically via email to Sherry Downey ().
Deadline for submittal (or postmark): Friday, April 12, 2019
- Award will be made in early May 2019, and a presentation will be held during a Kernels game.
- The decision of The Kernels Foundation is final.
- A thank you note to the donor must be received before funds will be disbursed.
- Funds will be disbursed directly to the student's college or university.
- All submittals will be held confidential.
- Family members of the following groups are not eligible to apply: full-time employees of the Cedar Rapids Kernels, Board of Directors of the Cedar Rapids Kernels, and Board of Directors of The Kernels Foundation.
For questions, please contact:
Doug Nelson, Chief Executive Officer Cedar Rapids Kernels