Nick Adenhart was a bright young pitcher who played for the Cedar Rapids Kernels in 2006, and he was a rising star in the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim organization. Only hours after Nick's 2009 season debut on the mound for the Angels, Nick was tragically killed by a drunk driver on April 9, 2009 at age 22.
Nick's family would like to honor him by awarding a $1000 scholarship in his memory. The Kernels Foundation is privileged to administer the scholarship on behalf of Nick's family. The Kernels Foundation is also awarding a $1000 scholarship in Nick's memory.
The applicant must be a graduating high school senior from an area public or private high school who will be attending a two-year or four-year accredited college or university. They must also be taking 12 or more hours per semester.
The applicant must have played an organized sport in the last two years AND be a great teammate.
The applicant should have a clear vision of career goals.
The applicant must demonstrate hard work and determination.
- Award will be made in early May 2021, and a presentation will be held during a Kernels game.
- The decision of The Kernels Foundation is final
- A thank you note to the donor must be received before funds will be disbursed.
- Funds will be disbursed directly to the student's college or university.
- All submittals will be held confidential.
- Family members of the following groups are not eligible to apply: full-time employees of the Cedar Rapids Kernels, Board of Directors of the Cedar Rapids Kernels, and Board of Directors of The Kernels Foundation.
The deadline for submitting applications for this scholarship is Friday, April 9, 2021.
Complete the Nick Adenhart Memorial Scholarship Application
Submit an essay as described in the Aspirations and Goals section of the application.
A certified copy of your transcript
Two letters of recommendation from:Sports coach/manager or teammate
Schoolteacher, principal, or counselor