RoughRiders Kickball League Rules
1. Game play consists of 10 players per side, with 5 men and 5 women in the field at one time (any position). Teams may play a legal game with 8 players. Teams may not play with more than 5 men at one time and no less than 3 women to be considered a legal game.
2. All games are seven innings or approx. 50 minutes. Umpires will only declare last inning if there is less than 5 minutes left in the game entering the top of an inning. Otherwise, there will be no more innings played after 50 minutes. At that point the umpire will declare that time has expired and either play out the inning or end the game if the home team is at bat and leading.
3. Teams may bat more than ten players, but the order must be guy-girl order, and all players must take a turn in the field.
4.The pitcher must pitch the ball at a speed in which the batters can reliably kick the ball in fair territory (Umpire's judgement)
5. Games will be played on an approximate softball diamond. The pitcher and fielders must stay behind the pitcher’s mound until the ball is kicked. The catcher or kicker may not cross home plate until the ball is contacted. The kicker may not kick the ball beyond home plate. If the kicker does contact the ball in front of home plate it will be considered a foul.
6. All batting counts will begin with a one ball, one strike. The strike zone extends to 1 foot on either side of home plate, and 1 foot high.
7. Pitches must be rolled, not be bounced, towards home plate. Pitches that bounce more than one foot above the ground will be considered an illegal pitch, and thus result in a ball. All kicks must be made by foot and must occur at or behind home plate. If the ball is kicked in front of home plate it will be considered an automatic strike, but if the ball is put in play it will be considered in "illegal kick" and may be played at the fielding teams' discretion.
8. A batter with two strikes is allowed one foul ball; after two fouls with two strikes, the batter is out.
9. Teams may bat more than ten players, but maintain guy-girl batting order. If a team is playing 9 players then a guy and girl must switch in the order every other at bat to maintain the guy-girl batting order
10. All players in the field must be accounted for in the batting order and vice-versa. There are no designated hitters. Any attempt at doing so must be brought to the attention of the umpire prior to game time and can only be approved by the opposing captain.
11. Game mercy rule: 10 runs up after five complete innings.
12. Inning run limit rule: There will be a 7 run limit per inning through the first 4 innings. (Exception: unlimited runs may be scored if one of the innings 1-4 is the final inning of the game.) Unlimited runs may be scored in innings 5 and beyond.
13. Runners may not leadoff or steal; runners may leave the base once the ball is hit by the batter. If a runner leaves early, the defense may appeal the call by throwing the ball to the base where the runner left early. If this is the 3rd out of the inning, the batter will be first up in the following inning.
14. Players are considered out by one of the following instances: (1) Striking out, (2) A fly ball caught by the defense, (3) A throw out at one of the lead bases, (4) The runner being tagged by the ball, (5) A foul out, or (6) A runner being struck by a thrown ball below the head while attempting to advance or return to a base.
15. Forfeit rule: If one team has less than the minimum number of players (8 total-3 females) at ten minutes past the scheduled start time, it is up to the RoughRiders staff and opposing team as to what is allowable - this decision will ultimately be made by the staff.
16. Base runner to defensive player contact will be closely monitored by the umpire. Any excessive contact or collision will result in an out and possibly an ejection of the instigating player per the umpire’s discretion. This includes contact with the catcher. Sliding is allowed. Any sliding into a base to break up a double play, or any intentional (in the eyes of the umpire) interference with the defensive player, the runner and the batter will be called out.
17. Hitting a runner with a thrown ball above shoulder level is not allowed. Any runner hit above the shoulders will be considered safe and awarded the closest forward base. The player throwing the ball will be ejected from the game. If, in the umpire's view, a player intentionally throws a ball at a runner's head, that player may be subject to suspension/expulsion from league play. Players may be hit anywhere below the shoulders with a thrown ball and will be considered out. If the runner intentionally uses their head to block the ball, in the eyes of the official, they will be deemed out.
18. NO METAL SPIKES ARE ALLOWED. Any equipment in question should be brought to the attention of the umpire. The umpire will make all final decisions in regard to equipment discrepancies.
19. A foul kick above the batter’s head may be caught for an out.
20. All thrown balls are ruled out of play when: 1.) The ball is thrown over or beyond the fence; 2.) If the ball is overthrown into the seats or dugouts along the 1st and 3rd base lines; 3.) If the ball is overthrown and hits the wall behind the 1st or 3rd base lines, this is NOT considered out of play and the runner may advance, BUT at his/her own risk; 4.) On overthrows out of play, the runner is granted the base he/she is running towards at the point of the throw plus one more. Note: in cases where a base runner runs past first base, he/she must make an obvious turn towards second base to be granted 2nd and 3rd in overthrow situations.
21. There is no infield fly rule
22. All outfielders must remain behind the coned outfield before a batter contacts the ball. If the line is not clearly marked it us up to the umpire’s discretion if an outfielder is too close to the infield. There cannot be more than 6 players on the infield at any one time (including catcher). There must be at least 4 outfielders. Once contact has been made the outfielders may cross the line. If an outfielder crosses the line before contact has been made, the batter may be awarded first base. Infielders must remain behind the pitcher's rubber until the ball is kicked. The pitcher may exit the pitcher's mound area as soon as the ball is kicked. These areas will be enforced by the umpire.
23. The pitcher must pitch the ball at a speed that the batters can reasonably kick the ball in fair territory (Umpire's discretion)
24. When a pitch is ruled an illegal pitch and the batter makes contact with the ball and it is put in play in fair territory, the batter reserves the right after the play is over to decide to whether they would like to bat over or take the play as it plays out. If the pitch is deemed illegal and the batter makes contact and puts the ball in play in foul territory, then the pitch will be ruled a ball. If a batter is thrown an illegal pitch with a 3 ball count, then the batter will take a walk or will be able to kick the ball and take either the walk or the ball that is put in play.
25. The catcher must remain behind home plate until the ball is contacted. They should start the play even with or behind the kicker. If they interfere with the kicker, the kicker may be awarded first base. If they intentionally interfere with a kicker, the umpire reserves the right to eject players for severe infractions.
GAMES: It will be the umpire’s responsibility to coordinate and run the games, which include the following tasks: Starting games on time. Calling outs, making final calls on any disputed balls or strikes. Settling all disputes or disputed calls. It is understood that umps will assist in the tracking of the score (i.e. - Announcing between innings). However, it is the responsibility of both teams to maintain their respective line-ups and scores each inning.
First Offense: Loss of game and warning issued.
Second Offense: Loss of game and RoughRiders staff reserves the right to remove team from playoffs.
Third Offense: Removal from the league.
If you know in advance that your team is going to forfeit a game and contact the RoughRiders in a reasonable amount of notice, we may be able to re-schedule for your opponent or even the entire game.
Teams have until five minutes past the designated start time to field a full squad (minimum numbers of players required to play according to the rules). Anything less than the minimum must be approved by the staff and opposing team.
STANDINGS: The updated standings will be emailed weekly. Rank is based on winning percentage.
PLAYOFFS: Format will be determined by the number of registered teams. Playoffs are single elimination.
Seeding: Teams are seeded according to winning percentage and head to head results. Point/Run differential will not be a factor. Teams may play more than one game per day. Any questions regarding rules, policies, or eligibility must be addressed before the start of the game.
Frisco RoughRiders reserve the right to schedule makeup games or playoff games on days other than your regularly scheduled league night.
WAIVERS: Each participant must sign a waiver after registration. Copies of the waiver will be emailed to participants after registration, and there will be printed waivers available prior to each game. After Week 2 of play, roster adjustments need to be approved by office staff during normal business hours.
PLAYER ELIGIBILITY: To be an eligible player for the playoffs, he/she must be on the team waiver A formal protest may be filed before a game (or when a late-arriving player attempts to enter the game) if an opposing player’s eligibility is in question. The player in question will be required to provide his/her player information (name, address, phone #, signature) in writing to a RoughRiders staff member prior to the start of the game. This qualifies as an official protest. The game will then be played in its entirety as scheduled. Teams will be notified of all rulings on the identified eligibility discrepancy. Decisions will not be made on site. If the protest is proven to be legitimate, it will result in the forfeiture of the game in question. Games subsequent to the protested game may be rescheduled. The above procedure will also apply for any other logged protests. All rulings by RoughRiders staff are considered final.
SPORTSMANSHIP: Any behavior deemed unacceptable by staff may result in suspension and/or ejection from a game or the league.
STAFF: To coordinate and run the league, our refs and/or staff will be available at all times to help the league run as smoothly as possible. If you have questions regarding schedules, policies, rule interpretations, directions to the bar, etc. please ask.
LEAGUE CANCELLATION/RAINOUT: Leagues may be cancelled due to existing weather conditions, dangerous or unplayable field conditions, facility constraints, etc. RoughRiders staff makes every effort to play all scheduled games, thus we will not cancel games until absolutely necessary. Therefore, if you are calling concerning a decision on a cancellation, remember we will often not have an answer until close to the start of the league.
If the league is cancelled, RoughRiders staff will notify teams immediately via email If a league is cancelled on site, RoughRiders staff will attempt to contact those teams still scheduled to play the remainder of the league day/night. Depending on the time of cancellation, some teams will have to be notified on site. If we do cancel, follow the next week’s schedule. The games that are cancelled will be made up at the end of the season if time allows. In extreme circumstances, the RoughRiders reserves the right to run a shortened season without a refund or schedule matches on days other than our regularly scheduled league day/night. Any game called prior to being an official game will be replayed in its entirety. A game is considered official if it is called after 4 innings (or 3 1/2 innings if the home team is ahead) or 30 minutes have elapsed.
PRIZES/ T-SHIRTS: Team T-shirts will be available for purchase from the RoughRiders. Rosters will be considered final by the second week of the league and used for distribution of T-shirts. The shirts will be handed out at the ballpark during the season. Please look for the announcement at the league designating which nights the shirts will dispensed. Those teams unable to pick up their T-shirts at the ballpark must contact [email protected] or [email protected] to make arrangements to pick them up at the office. The RoughRiders cannot guarantee the availability of T-shirts after the last week of regular season, so please pick them up at T-shirt night or soon after. The championship team will receive a suite and “first kick” at a 2021 RoughRiders home game.