MIDLAND, Texas (Sept. 1, 2018) - Despite home runs from Preston Beck and Luis Mendez , the Frisco RoughRiders, the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, fell 14-5 in a rain-shortened, eight-inning contest Saturday night against the Midland RockHounds at Security Bank Ballpark.
* Beck went deep with a solo shot in the third and Mendez clubbed a three-run blast in the sixth.
* Midland scored at least three runs in each of the first four innings to take a 13-2 lead.
* Reliever Cole Wiper tossed three scoreless innings for the Riders in the loss.
KEY RIDERS PERFORMERS
* Luis Mendez: 2-for-3, HR, 3 RBI
* Jose Cardona: 1-for-3, BB, R
* Cole Wiper: 3 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
NEWS AND NOTES
* Beck regained the team lead with his 13th homer of the season.
* Jose Cardona has drawn a walk in five consecutive games (seven total walks).
Riders at Midland, Sunday, 2:00 p.m.
Probables: LHP Wes Benjamin (5-5, 3.72) vs. RHP Brian Howard (3-4, 3.82)
Audio: RidersBaseball.com, TuneIn Radio, First Pitch App
About the RoughRiders
The Frisco RoughRiders are the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers and play their games at beautiful Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas. The team was founded in 2003 and has finished first among all Double-A franchises in attendance in each of the last 13 seasons (2005-2017). In August 2014, the RoughRiders were purchased by an ownership group led by Chuck Greenberg. Since then, the new ownership group, together with the City of Frisco, has spearheaded numerous major franchise enhancements, investing over $8 million in a wide array of facility upgrades and improvements, including a state-of-the-art HD video board, sound system, Bull Moose Saloon, InTouch Grille, Riders Outpost Team Store and the world's largest water feature in a sports facility, the massive Choctaw Lazy River. These enhancements earned the Riders and the City of Frisco Ballpark Digest's prestigious "Best Ballpark Renovation" award for two consecutive years (2015 and 2016). More than 140 former RoughRiders players have gone on to play Major League Baseball, including All-Stars Chris Davis , Adrian Gonzalez , Ian Kinsler and Neftali Feliz , as well as current Rangers stars Elvis Andrus , Rougned Odor and Nomar Mazara . For more information on the Frisco RoughRiders and Dr Pepper Ballpark, please visit RidersBaseball.com or contact Ryan Rouillard at RRouillard@RidersBaseball.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.