SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (April 15, 2018) - Outfielder Hunter Cole continued his recent surge at the plate with a 2-for-3 performance Sunday afternoon but the Frisco RoughRiders, Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, fell 14-3 to the Springfield Cardinals at Hammons Field.
- Cole opened the scoring for the Riders with an RBI single in the top of the first, helping the Riders take an early 2-0 lead.
- Springfield countered with five runs in the first inning to seize command of the game.
- The Cardinals scored in five of their eight innings, capping the big day with a four-run eighth.
- In his Riders debut, Luis La O went 2-for-4 with two RBIs. He joined the Riders Saturday from Advanced-A Down East.
KEY RIDERS PERFORMERS
- Hunter Cole: 2-for-3, BB, RBI
- Luis La O: 2-for-3, 2 RBI
- Ryne Slack: 4 1/3 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
NEWS AND NOTES
- Cole has three consecutive multi-hit performances and has collected multiple hits in six of his nine games this season. He also extended his hitting streak to six games with his two hits Sunday afternoon.
- In addition to his hitting abilities, Cole also delivered his second outfield assist of the season, cutting down a runner at the plate in the fourth inning.
- Sunday's first-pitch temperature was 33 degrees, marking the Riders coldest game of the season.
Riders at Springfield, Monday, 11:10 a.m.
Probables: RHP Richelson Pena (1-0, 1.80) vs. RHP Jake Woodford (0-1, 8.00 ERA)
Audio: RidersBaseball.com, TuneIn Radio, First Pitch App
About the RoughRiders
The Frisco RoughRiders are the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers and play their games at beautiful Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas. The team was founded in 2003 and has finished first among all Double-A franchises in attendance in each of the last 13 seasons (2005-2017). In August 2014, the RoughRiders were purchased by an ownership group led by Chuck Greenberg. Since then, the new ownership group, together with the City of Frisco, has spearheaded numerous major franchise enhancements, investing over $8 million in a wide array of facility upgrades and improvements, including a state-of-the-art HD video board, sound system, Bull Moose Saloon, InTouch Grille, Riders Outpost Team Store and the world's largest water feature in a sports facility, the massive Choctaw Lazy River. These enhancements earned the Riders and the City of Frisco Ballpark Digest's prestigious "Best Ballpark Renovation" award for two consecutive years (2015 and 2016). More than 140 former RoughRiders players have gone on to play Major League Baseball, including All-Stars Chris Davis , Adrian Gonzalez , Ian Kinsler and Neftali Feliz , as well as current Rangers stars Elvis Andrus , Rougned Odor and Nomar Mazara . For more information on the Frisco RoughRiders and Dr Pepper Ballpark, please visit RidersBaseball.com or contact Art Garcia atAGarcia@RidersBaseball.com or Ryan Rouillard at RRouillard@RidersBaseball.com
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.