TULSA, Okla. (April 13, 2018) - In his first start of the season, infielder Luis Mendez had a productive night for the Frisco RoughRiders, Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, but the club was best by the Tulsa Drillers 8-4 Friday night at ONEOK Field.
- With the Riders trailing 3-1 in the sixth, Mendez tied the game with a two-run single to center field. He finished the night 1-3 with a walk.
- Tulsa took control of the game with a four-run sixth, which shattered a 3-3 tie. Kyle Garlick drove in a pair of runs with a double as part of a four-RBI night for the Tulsa right fielder.
- Riders starter Wes Benjamin turned in five solid innings, allowing three runs on five hits while striking out six.
KEY RIDERS PERFORMERS
- Luis Mendez: 1-3, BB, 2 RBI
- Hunter Cole: 2-3, BB
- Jose Trevino: 2-5, R
- Wes Benjamin: 5 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 6 K
NEWS AND NOTES
- Jose Trevino extended his hitting streak to five games with a pair of singles.
- Hunter Cole collected his team-best fourth multi-hit game of the season.
- Through two starts, Wes Benjamin has collected 14 strikeouts in nine innings.
Riders at Tulsa, Saturday, 7:05 p.m.
Probables: RHP Pedro Payano (1-0, 4.50) vs. LHP Devin Smeltzer (0-0, 6.75 ERA)
Audio: RidersBaseball.com, TuneIn Radio, First Pitch App
About the RoughRiders
The Frisco RoughRiders are the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers and play their games at beautiful Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas. The team was founded in 2003 and has finished first among all Double-A franchises in attendance in each of the last 13 seasons (2005-2017). In August 2014, the RoughRiders were purchased by an ownership group led by Chuck Greenberg. Since then, the new ownership group, together with the City of Frisco, has spearheaded numerous major franchise enhancements, investing over $8 million in a wide array of facility upgrades and improvements, including a state-of-the-art HD video board, sound system, Bull Moose Saloon, InTouch Grille, Riders Outpost Team Store and the world's largest water feature in a sports facility, the massive Choctaw Lazy River. These enhancements earned the Riders and the City of Frisco Ballpark Digest's prestigious "Best Ballpark Renovation" award for two consecutive years (2015 and 2016). More than 140 former RoughRiders players have gone on to play Major League Baseball, including All-Stars Chris Davis , Adrian Gonzalez , Ian Kinsler and Neftali Feliz , as well as current Rangers stars Elvis Andrus , Rougned Odor and Nomar Mazara . For more information on the Frisco RoughRiders and Dr Pepper Ballpark, please visit RidersBaseball.com or contact Art Garcia atAGarcia@RidersBaseball.com or Ryan Rouillard at RRouillard@RidersBaseball.com
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.