TULSA, OK (April 19, 2017) - Royce Bolinger's RBI single in the top of the ninth broke a 7-7 tie, lifting the Frisco RoughRiders, the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, to an 8-7 victory over the Drillers in the finale of a three-game series Wednesday afternoon at ONEOK Field.
- With the go-ahead run at third base and two outs, Royce Bolinger hit a single to center field to plate Matt Lipka and give the Riders an 8-7 lead in the ninth inning.
- Despite an early early 7-0 Riders lead, Tulsa rallied to tie the game with a pair of runs in the fifth and five runs in the sixth. Kyle Garlick homered twice and Jacob Scavuzzo also went deep to bring the Drillers all the way back.
- Bolinger's big day began in the bottom of the second when his RBI single gave the Riders a 1-0 lead. His sacrifice fly in the third increased the Frisco lead to 5-1.
- Drew Vettleson and Eric Aguilera homered in a four-run third inning. Vettleson crushed a solo shot, his second of the season, while Aguilera hit a two-run shot.
- In the fifth, Michael De Leon singled in a run and Kevin Torres brought in another with a sacrifice fly, making it 7-0.
- Clayton Cook earned the victory, firing a scoreless eighth and ninth. With runners on the corners and a 7-7 tie in the eighth, Cook induced an inning-ending double play to curtail the Tulsa threat.
KEY RIDERS PERFORMERS
- Royce Bolinger: 3-3, three RBIs, walk
- Eric Aguilera: 2-4, home run, two RBIs, two runs, walk
- Drew Vettleson: 2-5, home run, RBI, run
- Clayton Cook: W, 2 IP, 2 H, 2 K
NEWS AND NOTES
- Royce Bolinger established a new season-high with his three RBIs and is tied with Eric Aguilera for the team lead (9).
- Drew Vettleson is the second Rider this season to go deep in back-to-back games. Juremi Profar was the first, homering in consecutive games on April 8-9.
- In the three-game series between the Riders and Tulsa, the teams combined for 10 home runs. The Riders hit four and the Drillers hit six.
RoughRiders vs. Corpus Christi, Thursday, 7:05 p.m.
Probables: LHP Yohander Mendez (1-0, 2.53 ERA) vs. LHP Kent Emanuel (0-1, 7.88 ERA)
Tickets: Click here
Audio: RidersBaseball.com, TuneIn Radio App, MiLB First Pitch App
About the RoughRiders
The Frisco RoughRiders are the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers and play their games at beautiful Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas. The team was founded in 2003 and has finished first among all Double-A franchises in attendance in each of the last 12 seasons (2005-2016). In August 2014, the RoughRiders were purchased by an ownership group led by Chuck Greenberg. The new ownership group, together with the city of Frisco, has spearheaded numerous major franchise improvements over the past two seasons, investing nearly $8 million in a wide array of facility upgrades and improvements, including a new state-of-the-art HD video board, sound system, Bull Moose Saloon, InTouch Grille, Riders Outpost Team Store, and the newest and biggest creation, the 174-foot Choctaw Lazy River. The upgrades made prior to the 2015 season earned the Riders and the City of Frisco "Best Ballpark Renovation" of 2015 by Ballpark Digest. The same publication also honored the Choctaw Lazy River as the best ballpark improvement over $1 million for the 2016 season. More than 140 former RoughRiders players have gone on to play Major League Baseball, including All-Stars Chris Davis, Adrian Gonzalez, Ian Kinsler, and Nelson Cruz, as well as current Rangers stars Elvis Andrus, Rougned Odor and Nomar Mazara. For more information on the Frisco RoughRiders and Dr Pepper Ballpark, please visit RidersBaseball.com or contact Art Garcia at AGarcia@RidersBaseball.com or Ryan Rouillard at RRouillard@RidersBaseball.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.