FRISCO, Texas (May 15, 2017) - Ariel Jurado tossed 6 2/3 spectacular innings to lift the Frisco RoughRiders, the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, to a 5-0 win over the Midland RockHounds Monday night in the series opener at Dr Pepper Ballpark.
- Ariel Jurado did not allow a run in his outing for the second time in his past three starts. The righty earned the win, firing 6 2/3 innings of four-hit ball with four strikeouts and no walks.
- Luke Tendler's RBI triple off Midland starter Grant Holmes gave the Riders a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second. Eric Aguilera's solo home run, his fourth long ball of the year, put Frisco in front 2-0 in the fourth.
- The Riders padded their lead with three runs in the seventh, scoring two on a triple by Scott Heineman and another on an RBI single by Jose Trevino .
KEY RIDERS PERFORMERS
- Ariel Jurado: W, 6 2/3 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4K
- Eric Aguilera: 1-2, home run, RBI, run, walk
- Scott Heineman: 2-4, triple, two RBIs, run
NEWS AND NOTES
- Frisco Manager Joe Mikulik earned his 1,200th career victory with Monday's win. His 139 wins rank him third all-time in RoughRiders history.
- Ariel Jurado's quality start Monday is Frisco's 11th in the past 13 games.
- Jurado, who went 1-3 with 6.41 ERA over his first five starts, has gone 2-0 with a 0.93 ERA in his past three outings.
- Frisco has recorded shutouts in each of its last two wins and now has three shutout victories out of 16 total wins this year.
- Riders hitters drew a season-high nine walks in Monday's victory.
- The RockHounds, who haven't scored in 25 innings, were shutout in back-to-back contests for the first time since April 2015.
RoughRiders vs. Midland, Tuesday, 7:05 p.m.
Probables: RHP David Ledbetter (1-0, 3.00 ERA) vs. RHP Heath Fillmyer (0-2, 3.21 ERA)
Tickets: Click here
Audio: RidersBaseball.com, TuneIn Radio App, MiLB First Pitch App
About the RoughRiders
The Frisco RoughRiders are the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers and play their games at beautiful Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas. The team was founded in 2003 and has finished first among all Double-A franchises in attendance in each of the last 12 seasons (2005-2016). In August 2014, the RoughRiders were purchased by an ownership group led by Chuck Greenberg. The new ownership group, together with the city of Frisco, has spearheaded numerous major franchise improvements over the past two seasons, investing nearly $8 million in a wide array of facility upgrades and improvements, including a new state-of-the-art HD video board, sound system, Bull Moose Saloon, InTouch Grille, Riders Outpost Team Store, and the newest and biggest creation, the 174-foot Choctaw Lazy River. The upgrades made prior to the 2015 season earned the Riders and the City of Frisco "Best Ballpark Renovation" of 2015 by Ballpark Digest. The same publication also honored the Choctaw Lazy River as the best ballpark improvement over $1 million for the 2016 season. More than 140 former RoughRiders players have gone on to play Major League Baseball, including All-Stars Chris Davis, Adrian Gonzalez, Ian Kinsler, and Nelson Cruz, as well as current Rangers stars Elvis Andrus, Rougned Odor and Nomar Mazara. For more information on the Frisco RoughRiders and Dr Pepper Ballpark, please visit RidersBaseball.com or contact Art Garcia at AGarcia@RidersBaseball.com or Ryan Rouillard at RRouillard@RidersBaseball.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.