FRISCO, Texas (August 4, 2017) - Pedro Payano struck out a season-high 10 batters over 6 1/3 nearly-spotless frames for the Frisco RoughRiders, the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, but the Corpus Christi Hooks rallied late to win 3-2 Friday night at Dr Pepper Ballpark.
- Riders hurler Pedro Payano flustered the Corpus Christi Hooks over 6 1/3 innings of two-hit ball, fanning a season-high 10 batters in a no-decision. The Rangers No. 29 prospect (Baseball America) allowed two runs and one walk.
- Trailing 2-0 into the seventh, the Hooks scored three times to take a 3-2 advantage. Ryne Birk's RBI single cut the deficit to one run before Rico Noel's two-run single delivered the lead.
- Luke Tendler and Andy Ibanez produced RBI singles in the first inning, giving the Riders a 2-0 lead.
KEY RIDERS PERFORMERS
- Pedro Payano: 6 1/3 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 10 K
- Royce Bolinger : 3-4, two doubles, run
- Luke Tendler: 1-4, RBI
- Andy Ibanez: 1-4, RBI
NEWS AND NOTES
- With 10 strikeouts Friday, Pedro Payano joins Connor Sadzeck as the only other Riders pitcher to fan 10 batters in a game this season.
- Royce Bolinger notched three hits Friday and is 15-39 (.385) in his past 10 games. In the span, Bolinger has collected five multi-hit games.
- The Riders have tallied seven runs in their past five games after scoring 16 runs in the four contests prior.
Riders vs. Corpus Christi, Saturday, 7:05 p.m.
Probables: RHP Tyson Ross (MLB rehab) vs. LHP Alex Winkelman (1-5, 3.86 ERA)
Tickets: Click here
Audio: RidersBaseball.com, TuneIn Radio App, MiLB First Pitch App
About the RoughRiders
The Frisco RoughRiders are the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers and play their games at beautiful Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas. The team was founded in 2003 and has finished first among all Double-A franchises in attendance in each of the last 12 seasons (2005-2016). In August 2014, the RoughRiders were purchased by an ownership group led by Chuck Greenberg. The new ownership group, together with the city of Frisco, has spearheaded numerous major franchise improvements over the past two seasons, investing nearly $8 million in a wide array of facility upgrades and improvements, including a new state-of-the-art HD video board, sound system, Bull Moose Saloon, InTouch Grille, Riders Outpost Team Store, and the newest and biggest creation, the 174-foot Choctaw Lazy River. The upgrades made prior to the 2015 season earned the Riders and the City of Frisco "Best Ballpark Renovation" of 2015 by Ballpark Digest. The same publication also honored the Choctaw Lazy River as the best ballpark improvement over $1 million for the 2016 season. More than 130 former RoughRiders players have gone on to play Major League Baseball, including All-Stars Chris Davis, Adrian Gonzalez, Ian Kinsler, and Nelson Cruz, as well as current Rangers stars Elvis Andrus, Rougned Odor and Nomar Mazara. For more information on the Frisco RoughRiders and Dr Pepper Ballpark, please visit RidersBaseball.com or contact Art Garcia at AGarcia@RidersBaseball.com or Ryan Rouillard at RRouillard@RidersBaseball.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.