TULSA, OK (April 18, 2017) - One week removed from a dazzling performance on the mound against Tulsa, Connor Sadzeck repeated a similar feat Tuesday to deliver the Frisco RoughRiders, the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, a 3-0 victory over the Drillers in the middle game of a three-game series at ONEOK Field.
- After striking out nine Tulsa batters at Dr Pepper Ballpark last Tuesday, Connor Sadzeck earned his first victory of the season, firing 5 2/3 innings of scoreless baseball. He struck out four, while allowing three walks and four hits. His biggest jam came in the fifth, when he loaded the bases with two outs, but recorded a strikeout to elude trouble.
- Drew Vettleson connected on a line drive home run, his first of the season, in the top of the second inning, putting the Riders ahead 1-0 The Riders added insurance runs in the eighth on Juremi Profar's RBI groundout and Vettleson's RBI infield single.
- James Dykstra provided 3 1/3 dominant innings of relief, retiring all 10 batters he faced to earn the save.
- Drillers hurler Scott Barlow, who countered Sadzeck for the second consecutive time, struck out five over five innings, allowing one run on three hits in the loss.
KEY RIDERS PERFORMERS
- Connor Sadzeck: W, 5 2/3 IP, 0 ER, 4 H, 3 BB, 4 K
- Drew Vettleson: 2-4, home run, two RBIs, run
- Scott Heineman: 2-5, double, run
- James Dykstra: SV, 3 1/3 IP, 2 K
NEWS AND NOTES
- The Riders earned their first shutout of the season and their first since a 3-0 win over Corpus Christi on September 1, 2016.
- Scott Heineman extended his hitting and on-base streak to 10 games with a single in the sixth inning.
- James Dykstra earned his second career save, with the other coming September 6, 2015 as a member of the Advanced-A Winston-Salem Dash. He has pitched 8 2/3 scoreless innings to begin the season, retiring 26 of 28 batters faced.
RoughRiders at Tulsa, Wednesday, 12:05 p.m.
Probables: RHP Ariel Jurado (1-1, 6.97 ERA) vs. RHP Isaac Anderson (0-2, 7.36 ERA)
Audio: RidersBaseball.com, TuneIn Radio App, MiLB First Pitch App
About the RoughRiders
The Frisco RoughRiders are the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers and play their games at beautiful Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas. The team was founded in 2003 and has finished first among all Double-A franchises in attendance in each of the last 12 seasons (2005-2016). In August 2014, the RoughRiders were purchased by an ownership group led by Chuck Greenberg. The new ownership group, together with the city of Frisco, has spearheaded numerous major franchise improvements over the past two seasons, investing nearly $8 million in a wide array of facility upgrades and improvements, including a new state-of-the-art HD video board, sound system, Bull Moose Saloon, InTouch Grille, Riders Outpost Team Store, and the newest and biggest creation, the 174-foot Choctaw Lazy River. The upgrades made prior to the 2015 season earned the Riders and the City of Frisco "Best Ballpark Renovation" of 2015 by Ballpark Digest. The same publication also honored the Choctaw Lazy River as the best ballpark improvement over $1 million for the 2016 season. More than 140 former RoughRiders players have gone on to play Major League Baseball, including All-Stars Chris Davis, Adrian Gonzalez, Ian Kinsler, and Nelson Cruz, as well as current Rangers stars Elvis Andrus, Rougned Odor and Nomar Mazara. For more information on the Frisco RoughRiders and Dr Pepper Ballpark, please visit RidersBaseball.com or contact Art Garcia at AGarcia@RidersBaseball.com or Ryan Rouillard at RRouillard@RidersBaseball.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.