It is very rare that a Mud Hens game may be cancelled due to weather. In fact, the Mud Hens have averaged only ONE cancellation per season since 2002. We are proud to say we have played 99% of our games on their scheduled game date! Mud Hens games are "rain or shine" events.
So, what happens if it is raining before the game?
• THE FUN BEGINS!
• The gates will open one hour before game time.
• All the Concourse restaurants will be open and ready.
• Group parties will have their food served.
• The Swamp Squad - our fun experts -- will be entertaining fans from the field and the mascots will make all their appearances.
• On giveaway days, as always, we will pass them out when gates open.
If the rain stops before the scheduled start time, the game goes on as planned.
If it's raining when the game is scheduled to begin, and the team can't take the field, a rain delay will be called. A new start time will be announced.
Fifth Third Field is equipped with a remarkable turf drainage system that allows the field to drain quickly and be ready for play. (It's quite amazing watching the Turf Crew get the field ready to play after a rain-delay. The tarp can weigh up to 10,000 pounds wet!)
In the rare case a rainout is called, fans will be able to exchange their tickets for a future Mud Hens game.
(Note: Weather predictions are for the Toledo region, not specifically for downtown Toledo or Fifth Third Field. That's why it can be raining in Sylvania, Findlay, south Toledo or southeast Michigan and it be sunny at the ballpark.)