SummaryThe Senators (45-35, 3-7) rallied for three runs in the eighth inning but fell short in a 6-5 loss to the Erie SeaWolves (40-37, 9-2) Saturday night in Erie. Tyler Goeddel drove in two runs with a double after a long at bat in the eighth inning, trimming the Erie
The Senators (45-35, 3-7) rallied for three runs in the eighth inning but fell short in a 6-5 loss to the Erie SeaWolves (40-37, 9-2) Saturday night in Erie. Tyler Goeddel drove in two runs with a double after a long at bat in the eighth inning, trimming the Erie lead to 6-5. But Goeddel was left stranded at second and Erie closer retired the Sens in order in the ninth to earn the save. Erie has taken two of the first three games of the series.
The Senators loaded the bases in the first inning on a single by Adrían Sanchez, a walk to Ian Sagdal and an infield single by Dante Bichette, Jr. Austin Davidson then struck out bringing Chuck Taylor to the plate with two outs. He hit a laser to the left of second that Erie SS Sergio Alcántara made a diving catch on to save two runs. At that point, Erie started Alex Faedo had thrown 25 pitches in the first inning. The diving catch kept the Sens off the scoreboard.
On Capitol Hill
• Tyler Mapes took the loss, throwing 100 pitches in five innings of work. He allowed 11 hits and six earned runs.
• Ronald Peña was dominating in his two innings of work. He struck out five, walked a batter and allowed a hit.
• Bryan Bonnell pitched a scoreless eighth inning.
With the Gavel
• Tyler Goeddel had two hits including a big two-run double in the eighth inning bringing the Sens to within a run.
• Spencer Kieboom and Adrian Sanchez both had two hits in the game.
• Five different Sens scored runs.
• Harrisburg went 3-for-12 with runners in scoring position.
• Adrian Sanchez extended his hit streak to 8 games. Dante Bichette, Jr. extended his hit streak to 7 games.
• This is the only visit to Erie during the regular season for the Senators. The only other cities the Sens visit once are Portland and New Hampshire which are both in the Eastern Division.
The Senators play the Erie SeaWolves Sunday afternoon at 1:35 p.m. at UPMC Park in Erie. The game can be heard on CBS Sports Radio Harrisburg 96.5FM 95.3FM and 1400AM beginning at 1:25 p.m.