Express Snap 10-Game Skid Thanks to 12-2 Victory Over Chihuahuas
ROUND ROCK, Texas – The Round Rock Express (22-20) snapped its 10-game losing streak with a 12-2 win over the El Paso Chihuahuas (19-24) on Friday night at Dell Diamond. Round Rock starter RHP James Marvel (1-1, 3.77) earned the night’s win with 5.1 innings that saw two runs on
ROUND ROCK, Texas – The Round Rock Express (22-20) snapped its 10-game losing streak with a 12-2 win over the El Paso Chihuahuas (19-24) on Friday night at Dell Diamond.
Round Rock starter RHP James Marvel (1-1, 3.77) earned the night’s win with 5.1 innings that saw two runs on seven hits and four walks with three strikeouts. El Paso starter RHP Matt Waldron (0-4, 7.45) was tagged with the loss after allowing five runs, 11 hits and two walks during his 3.1 innings on the mound.
Along the Train Tracks:
- Round Rock struck in the home half of the first with two runs. With the bases loaded and two outs, SS Davis Wendzel delivered the goods with a double that scored two and gave the E-Train the 2-0 advantage.
- In the third frame, after two walks and a passed ball allowed both baserunners to advance, Chihuahuas CF Jose Azocar drove home two runs with a single to tie the score.
- The Express answered back with three runs in the fourth inning. Whatley tallied two more RBI as he drove home LF Josh Sale and RF Sandro Fabian thanks to another double. 3B Justin Foscue tacked on another run with a single to score Whatley and give the Express a 5-2 advantage.
- Round Rock made it 8-2 with another three-run inning in the fifth. Sale, Fabian and CF Rafael Ortega all scored on a combination of one walk and four singles, including three that came consecutively.
- A four-spot in the sixth inning gave the Express some insurance. Wendzel blasted a two-run home run onto the left field berm and scored 2B Dio Arias, who had knocked a triple, to start the action. With two out, DH Sam Huff sent both Whatley and Ortega home with a single to give Round Rock the 12-2 advantage.
- The Express finished the night with 20 hits, which ties for the most hits recorded at home since the club became a Triple-A team in 2005. Round Rock previously tallied 20 on June 21, 2013 against Memphis.
- 3B Justin Foscue, DH Sam Huff and RF Sandro Fabian all hit 4-for-5 with Foscue totaling two RBI and Huff earning three. 2B Dio Arias, SS Davis Wendzel and C Matt Whatley all finished with two hits apiece.
- E-Train relievers LHP Lucas Jacobsen, RHP Chase Lee and LHP Josh Dye posted scoreless innings on the bump. Jacobsen went 0.2 innings, Lee tossed 2.0 with four strikeouts and Dye threw 1.0 with one strikeout.
- Round Rock snapped its 10-game losing streak with Friday night’s win. The 10-game skid tied for the longest losing streak in franchise history, which was set from July 30 to August 9, 2013.
Next up: Round Rock and El Paso will prepare for game five of the series on Saturday, with first pitch at Dell Diamond slated for 7:05 p.m. Chihuahuas RHP Pedro Avila (1-4, 10.27) will start against an Express pitcher to be announced.
Single game tickets as well as full season and mini season membership plans are on sale now. For more information about the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Subscribe to the E-Train email newsletter and keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!