Isotopes Use Big Eighth Inning to Top Express 10-6
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – The Albuquerque Isotopes (21-26) used a late-inning surge to defeat the Round Rock Express (24-22) by a score of 10-6 on Wednesday night’s game two at Isotopes Park. Round Rock reliever LHP Taylor Hearn (0-1, 3.93) was tagged with a blown-save loss after allowing six runs on
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – The Albuquerque Isotopes (21-26) used a late-inning surge to defeat the Round Rock Express (24-22) by a score of 10-6 on Wednesday night’s game two at Isotopes Park.
Round Rock reliever LHP Taylor Hearn (0-1, 3.93) was tagged with a blown-save loss after allowing six runs on four hits and two walks during the game’s eighth inning. The lefty struck out two batters. Albuquerque RHP Tommy Doyle (3-0, 1.42) earned the win with two shutout innings that saw two punchouts.
Along the Train Tracks
- Albuquerque took a quick 4-0 lead after hitting two-run home runs in both the first and second innings. 3B Elehuris Montero went yard in the first before SS Connor Kaiser hit a two-run shot in the second.
- Round Rock SS Davis Wendzel hit a double before scoring on a single from 3B Diosbel Arias in the fourth inning to make it a 4-1 game.
- Four runs in the top of the fifth inning gave the Express a 5-4 lead. Texas Rangers rehabber DH Mitch Garver led off the frame with a solo home run before 2B Justin Foscue and C Sam Huff both scored thanks to a double from 1B Blaine Crim. Crim rounded out the scoring after finding home plate when RF Sandro Fabian
- Wendzel scored again in the seventh on an Elier Hernandez single after reaching base on a two-out double.
- Albuquerque roared back with six runs in the eighth inning to take a 10-6 advantage. The Isotopes loaded the bases on two singles and a walk before a ground-rule double from CF Jimmy Herron scored two. A hit batter put runners on the corners and a balk scored RF Trevor Boone. LF Yonathan Daza cleared the bases with a double then scored when Montero hit a single for the eventual 10-6 final.
- In their second rehab appearances with Round Rock, Texas Rangers DH Mitch Garver hit 2-for-4 with one home run, one walk and two strikeouts while LF Travis Jankowski finished the contest 0-for-3 with one walk, one strikeout and one putout.
- Express SS Davis Wendzel led the team’s offense with a 3-for-5 night at the plate that included two doubles and two runs scored. In his last five outings, Wendzel has hit 9-for-20 with three doubles, two home runs, seven RBI and four runs.
Next up: Round Rock and Albuquerque will play for game three on Thursday night at Isotopes Park. Express RHP James Marvel (1-1, 3.77) is scheduled to start against Isotopes RHP Luis Cessa (--, --). First pitch is scheduled for 7:35 p.m. CT.
Single game tickets as well as full season and mini season membership plans are on sale now. For more information about the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Subscribe to the E-Train email newsletter and keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!