Round Rock Rides Three-Run Inning to Victory Over Salt Lake
ROUND ROCK, Texas – The Round Rock Express (14-6) extended their series lead over the Salt Lake Bees (9-11) to two games with a 3-2 victory on Wednesday night at Dell Diamond. The E-Train plated all three of its runs in the first inning and never surrendered the lead. Round
ROUND ROCK, Texas – The Round Rock Express (14-6) extended their series lead over the Salt Lake Bees (9-11) to two games with a 3-2 victory on Wednesday night at Dell Diamond. The E-Train plated all three of its runs in the first inning and never surrendered the lead.
Round Rock starter RHP Tyson Miller (2-0, 1.20) went home with the win after tossing 5.0 innings that saw one run on four hits and one walk with five strikeouts. The loss went to Salt Lake starter LHP Jake Kalish (2-1, 2.63), whose 4.0-inning outing saw three runs, three hits and two walks. The lefty also totaled five punchouts. Express RHP Dan Winkler earned a save with a scoreless ninth-inning performance that included one strikeout.
Along the Train Tracks:
- Round Rock jumped ahead quickly as the team scored three of the night’s five total runs in the first inning. DH Leody Taveras knocked a leadoff single and stole second base before scoring as CF Josh Smith hit a single of his own. With one out recorded, LF Zach Reks was hit by a pitch then crossed home plate, along with Smith, thanks to a two-RBI double from C Meibrys Viloria.
- The Bees plated their first run in the fifth when DH Matt Thaiss blasted a solo home run to kick off the frame. Express RHP Tyson Miller went on to retire the next three batters in order.
- Salt Lake added one more to their total in the eighth inning as back-to-back singles put LF Orlando Martinez and CF Magneuris Sierra on third and first base, respectively. A passed ball allowed Martinez to come home while Sierra was caught attempting to steal third. Two more outs closed the inning before RHP Dan Winkler sealed the 3-2 final with a scoreless ninth frame.
- E-Train C Meibrys Viloria finished with the only multi-hit performance for Round Rock, hitting 2-for-4 with one double and two RBI. The catcher has tallied nine hits on the season, four of which have been doubles.
- RHP Hever Bueno and RHP Nick Tropeano both finished the contest with hold decisions after their relief outings. Bueno tossed one scoreless frame while one unearned run crossed during Tropeano’s 2.0 innings. He also struck out two Salt Lake batters.
- The Bees out-hit the Express 6-4 on the night, marking Round Rock’s first win this season when being out-hit by their opponent.
- Round Rock stole two bases during Wednesday’s contest as DH Leody Taveras swiped one during the first inning for his third of the season and Viloria claimed his first of the year during the sixth.
Next up: Round Rock and Salt Lake play for game three and the final contest of the series at Dell Diamond on Thursday night. Express LHP Jake Latz (2-2, 4.74) is slated to make the start up against LHP Jhonathan Diaz (1-0, 3.00). First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m.
Single game tickets as well as full season and mini season membership plans are on sale now. For more information about the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Subscribe to the E-Train email newsletter and keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!